A few notes to self that should be kept around and possibly shared with the public.
Gender-neutral/gender-inclusive ways of addressing groups of people (somehow some people get this wrong all the time)
- cats and kittens (I know, most people aren't either, but it still seems nice; I've seen this used by Dinosaur Comics at least once)
OSes and kernels
CLI tools and utilities
Apps (both desktop and mobile)
- Transportr - app from F-Droid for public transport lookup.
- ElectronMail - desktop client for ProtonMail.
- Présentation - macOS app for making presentations out of PDFs.
- Gutenberg project
- Redcode Labs Library
Software with encryption
- 0 out keys/plaintext before freeing/shutting down
- Prevent timing attacks
Voluntary distributed computing
- Folding@home sucks; it's not super open-source-friendly and the binaries can only be obtained from there site.
- BOINC is nice. LHC@Home is cool, but there are a lot of other projects as well, some of them worth contributing to. Instructions for Fedora
- OpenCL requires proprietary drivers on Linux. Instructions for AMD here
- Electric Sheep's server code became proprietary in the later releases - I disrecommend using it.
Nice programming languages