A few notes to self that should be kept around and possibly shared with the public.
Gender-neutral/gender-inclusive ways of addressing groups of people (somehow some people get this wrong all the time)
- cats and kittens (I know, most people aren't either, but it still seems nice; I've seen this used by Dinosaur Comics at least once, here)
- surface-dwellers (Unless you… want to include… fish or marine mammals, I guess? Or flying creatures?)
- buddies (apparently… Ryan North likes collecting gender-neutral words, too…)
- sweethearts (maybe don't actually use this one)
OSes and kernels
CLI tools and utilities
- cowsay, lolcat
- Pandoc ‒ try
--pdf-engine=wkhtmltopdf(needs to be installed) if other things fail (especially if special characters are involved)
- mkcert or, even better, certstrap
- Paperkey (see here for a tutorial, note in the recovery step,
gpgreading the piped output might not work, so you might have to put in a file and let GPG read that)
Apps (both desktop and mobile)
- Transportr - app from F-Droid for public transport lookup.
- ElectronMail - desktop client for ProtonMail.
- Présentation - macOS app for making presentations out of PDFs.
- Gutenberg project
- Redcode Labs Library
Software with encryption
- 0 out keys/plaintext before freeing/shutting down
- Prevent timing attacks
- Don't do it yourself if you have no idea how things work.
Voluntary distributed computing
- Folding@home sucks; it's not super open-source-friendly and the binaries can only be obtained from there site.
- BOINC is nice. LHC@Home is cool, but there are a lot of other projects as well, some of them worth contributing to. Instructions for Fedora
- OpenCL requires proprietary drivers on Linux. Instructions for AMD here
- Electric Sheep's server code became proprietary in the later releases - I disrecommend using it.
Cool websites (not necessarily privacy friendly)
- ArtBreeder (formerly known as GanBreeder). The favicon of this site and Tanith's avatar were generated there…
- AI Dungeon
- WireGuard on OpenWrt (Turris)
- Global gitignores
- NixOS on RockPro64 (basically follow wiki, but use U-Boot 2020.07 instead of latest (
nix-env -i /nix/store/k66wvh5h5vwdhx6n78nb50zpsn9ss2sg-uboot-rockpro64-rk3399_defconfig-2020.07, will be available at that path then)
- Upgrade Postgres on NixOS
- netcup API with cURL, netcup API docs
- Podman capabilities
- Tor and I2P on NixOS (several parts)
- RockPro64 w NixOS:
- Agomelatine (antidepressant, serotonine antagonist and melatonine agonist, improves sleep quality without commonly causing dizziness, no sexual dysfunction reported as side effect)
- Lumateperone (antipsychotic, various serotonergic and dopaminergic activity, less side effects and possibly more effective at reducing negative symptoms than other antipsychotics)